Paula Knippa represents clients in a range of litigation matters, including complex aviation-related business litigation on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, as well as products liability and catastrophic personal injury litigation, through both trial and appeal. Paula was named “Best of the Best” in the area of Civil Litigation by the Texas Lawyers Group in 2012 and selected for Rising Star Super Lawyers (2013-2014).
- B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
- J.D. (with honors), The University of Texas School of Law
Paula was a well-regarded member of the Texas Law Review. In fact, her paper, “Primary Jurisdiction Doctrine and the Circumforaneous Litigant,” not only received an “outstanding note” award from the outgoing editorial board of the Texas Law Review, it was selected for publication by the incoming editorial board of the Review (Texas Law Review, April 2007, Volume 85, Number 5) as well.
Prior to joining Slack & Davis, Paula, an accredited Spanish-to-English translator, ran a successful translation practice, assisting companies with oil & gas and other energy-related business in Central and South America. As a translator, she had a unique opportunity to address legal issues and concerns frequently raised in commercial transactions.
Because of the national scope of Slack & Davis’ aviation practice in particular, Paula has developed extensive experience in both federal court and multi-state practice. She is especially well-versed in analyzing, briefing and resolving such complex issues as forum non conveniens, choice-of-law considerations and disputes, Montreal and Warsaw convention interpretations, federal jurisdiction questions and Daubert analyses.
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- “Preclusion, Exclusion and Confusion: Trends and Traps in Montreal Convention Cases” (American Association for Justice 2015 Annual Convention; July 11-15, 2015; Montreal Convention Center; Montreal, Canada)
Past Speaking Engagements
- “Avoiding Trial By Error: 50 Ways to Keep Your Attorney Out of Trouble” (Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar; October 2014)
- “Recent Developments in Aviation and Space Law”(American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Fall Meeting; October 2014)
- “Groundwatcher 101: Water Rights in Texas” (The Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court; February 2014)
- “Emerging Issues in Medical Torts” (State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course; October 2013)
- “Post-litigation Duty to Preserve Inculpatory Evidence” (article, ABA TIPS Fall 2013 Newsletter)
- “Perils and Pitfalls in the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code: How You Can Avoid or Exploit Them to Your Advantage” (2013 Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference; October 2013)
- Other presentations / papers include “Recent Developments in Aviation and Space Law“* which is co-authored with Diane Meyers. It is featured in the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Winter 2010 issue. *This information or any portion thereof may not be copied or disseminated in any form or by any means or downloaded or stored in an electronic database or retrieval system without the express written consent of the American Bar Association.
- American Association for Justice
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association
- Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association
In addition to her active practice at Slack & Davis, Paula is committed to supporting the heroic efforts of Volunteer Legal Services (VLS) of Austin on behalf of low-income individuals who would otherwise be denied the benefit of legal representation. She has achieved successful outcomes on behalf of VLS clients and hopes to continue to do so in the future.
- Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, whose mission is “to foster excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility and legal skills for practitioners, judges and professors in order to enhance the quality, availability and efficiency of justice in the United States.”
- Rising Star Super Lawyers – 2013-2014