When we step onto an airplane, we are usually thinking about our destination and not the risks of air travel. Yet, unlike other forms of transportation, the impact of aviation accidents is often catastrophic. Loss of life, injuries and property damages sustained in an airplane accident far outweigh those associated with a car accident. For nearly 25 years, victims of aviation accidents and their families have chosen Slack & Davis as their aviation law firm to navigate the complex litigation rules associated with air travel and to receive just compensation for their losses.
Aviation Lawyers With the Experience and Compassion You Need
Demand for air travel is expected to double over the next 20 years. As air traffic increases, so does the risk that passengers will be injured or involved in a fatal aviation accident. The caring attorneys at Slack & Davis have a unique combination of skills and experience in the aviation industry to help advise victims and their loved ones in the event of an accident.
The attorneys of Slack & Davis regularly handle the following types of aviation cases:
These large-scale tragedies often involve multiple defendants, the National Transportation Safety Board, independent investigators, commercial airline carriers and aircraft manufacturers. Air crash litigation and multiple layers of state, federal and international law make these cases extremely challenging to take on. The team at Slack & Davis has successfully represented passengers involved in commercial airline crashes across the United States, as well as in over a dozen foreign countries.
Although we may hear more about commercial airline crashes, commuter planes or air taxi aircraft that hold fewer than 30 passengers have higher crash and accident rates than flights on the major carriers. These types of private aircraft are governed by a different set of federal safety regulations than larger planes, although the impact on victims and families can be just as heartbreaking. The experienced attorneys at Slack & Davis apply their specialized knowledge for the benefit of those who have sustained an injury or lost a loved on in a plane crash.
In a medical emergency, patients may be transported to a medical facility by an air ambulance, medical helicopter or medical transport plane. What is already a devastating situation can become worse if one of these aircraft experiences a crash or accident. In these cases, not only can patients suffer further injury, or even death, but also medical flight crew members can experience severe injuries or fatalities. In addition to having Michael Slack, the founder and managing partner at Slack & Davis, who is a licensed helicopter pilot with deep knowledge of this type of aircraft and other emergency planes, our attorneys present and write extensively on the topic of air medical safety.
Vacation spots advertise helicopter tours as a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see your destination from a unique perspective. Athletes, executives, musicians, government officials and celebrities may opt for a charter helicopter to travel shorter distances. Unfortunately, the risks in a helicopter ride are greater than the possibility that you will crash or have an accident on a commercial airline. Helicopters are more vulnerable to bad weather, have more moving parts than airplanes and are more difficult to handle for novice pilots. Slack & Davis brings a long history of successfully helping families secure just compensation related to helicopter crashes and accidents.
Since 2000, over 40 helicopters have crashed into the Gulf of Mexico while transporting workers to offshore oil rigs. Because these waters are governed by an elaborate set of maritime laws, only firms with attorneys knowledgeable in these types of cases can position victims and their families to have a successful resolution. Slack & Davis can help fight for the compensation victims and their families deserve.
Case Profiles: Aviation Accident and Injury Cases
Wondering if you are a good fit for Slack & Davis? Here are just a few of the clients our firm has represented:
- Our lawyers represented the family of a state trooper who was killed in a medical helicopter crash and obtained a $3.2 million verdict.
- The parents of the three victims in the tragic private plane crash involving Reba McEntire’s band were each awarded $950,000 in damages.
- Injured passengers hailing from multiple countries on American Airlines Flight 331 relied on Slack & Davis attorneys’ extensive knowledge of the complex set of airline regulations to recommend which jurisdictions to file lawsuits to receive a favorable outcome.
- The family of Austin musical icon Stevie Ray Vaughan trusted the Slack & Davis legal team to reach a fair settlement after he was killed in a charter helicopter accident.
- After American Airlines Flight 587 crashed, our firm successfully represented the families of 24 of the passengers that perished as a result of the accident.
Why Choose Slack & Davis?
- Confidence knowing that you have the best aviation attorneys available on your side.
- Trust that our firm will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Comfort knowing that you will be treated with compassion during what can be an incredibly difficult time.
- Relief to be treated as an individual and not a number.
What We Offer Our Clients
- A legal team which includes experienced aviation attorneys, including an aerospace engineer and plane and helicopter pilots that bring a deep understanding of the relationships between human factors in the cockpit and the technical aspects of aircraft, as well as how weather and air traffic control factor into the equation.
- Skilled attorneys who fully understand the collection of state, national and international laws and jurisdictions that govern wrongful death and survivor actions in aviation cases.
- The knowledge to identify which jurisdictions will be most advantageous to our clients.
- Decades of experience investigating, analyzing, litigating, settling and trying hundreds of air crash cases from major airline disasters to general aviation crashes involving dozens of different makes and models of airplanes and helicopters.
What Our Clients Are Saying
“A disaster affecting the lives of many families led to our relationship with the Slack & Davis team. While we never could be compensated fully for our loss, the team at Slack & Davis removed much of the burden associated with dealing with the courts and corporate attorneys, allowing us to devote more of our attention to dealing with the very real burden of personal loss associated with losing loved ones to tragedy. They actively listened to what was important to us and crafted a legal strategy designed to meet our goals.”
– Larry McLerran and family, former clients
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any place I can go to find out whether the airline, tour operator or charter operator I am flying with has had any crashes or other problems?
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is a federal agency charged with investigating significant aviation, railroad, highway, marine, and pipeline accidents. Since 1962, the NTSB has maintained a publicly-accessible database of civil aviation accidents and incidents that you can search. Just go to the Aviation Accident Database and enter the company’s name under Event Details in the field “Enter your word string below.”
What types of damages can be recovered in an aviation accident?
A settlement in an aviation case can include pain and suffering, medical bills and past and future loss of wages. If a fatal accident occurs, the victim’s relatives may be eligible for loss of support, funeral expenses, and damages that the deceased would have provided to family members.
Who can be held responsible if I lose a loved one in an airplane crash?
A skilled aviation attorney will conduct a thorough investigation to determine who is at fault in the case of a plane crash or accident. An aircraft owner or operator, an aircraft manufacturer, maintenance vendors, air traffic control or the pilot may be at fault.
What is the statute of limitations for aviation accidents?
The statute of limitations places a time limit which dictates how long after an accident you have to make a claim. This time period varies, depending on where and how you file a lawsuit — state, federal or international court.
Are You The Victim of An Aviation Accident? What Our Clients Can Expect
If you have been involved in a commercial airline crash, the insurance company of the airline may reach out to you offering a settlement and may also invite you to take a cash advance to address your immediate needs after an accident.
Victims and their families should wait to accept any compensation until after reviewing the case with a skilled aviation lawyer. If you accept a settlement before consulting a skilled aviation attorney, your ability to seek additional compensation may be limited.
Once you contact us on our website or by phone, our case specialist will contact you to gather more information about your situation in a free telephone consultation. The goal of this call is to determine:
- How serious are your injuries and losses?
- Is there a liable party for your damages?
- Is there time to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires?
Our attorneys will meet to discuss your case. We will then get back in touch to give you information about next steps.
Once Slack & Davis is engaged as your legal counsel, your legal team will gather more information about the incident over the course of a few weeks or months, depending on the complexity of the case. Each case is unique, so, unfortunately, we are unable to give you an estimate of how long it will take to reach a settlement. Based on the specifics of your situation, your attorney will likely speak with you about a time estimate after an initial assessment of the complexity of your case