Large commercial trucks or “big rigs” are among the most dangerous vehicles on the road. These semi tractor-trailers and 18-wheelers have a fatal crash rate that is more than 50% greater than the rate for all other vehicles. Some of the factors that lead to a semi tractor-trailer wreck are driver fatigue, reckless driving, excess cargo weight and poorly maintained vehicles with unsafe tires, brakes or trailer frames. From cross-country tractor-trailers to local gavel trucks, these dangerous trucks – and their drivers – pose a serious threat to public safety. The weight of the trucks has a larger impact in an accident and can result in life-altering injuries or even death for those involved in the crash.
Truck drivers, bus drivers and commercial vehicle manufacturers are held to higher standards than any other vehicle manufacturer or driver. The company that owns the truck, bus or commercial vehicle may be held liable for a truck accident that causes harm, serious injury, or even death. Truck accidents can be very challenging legal cases, and you need a truck accident lawyer to help navigate the various local, state, county and federal guidelines that may apply to your particular situation.
Truck Crash Statistics in 2014*
- 3,424 large truck crashes involving at least one fatality
- 3,903 people killed
- 3.0% of truck crashes involve hazardous materials
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), from 2013 to 2014, the number of fatal truck crashes declined by 5 percent while the number of truck crashes resulting in injury increased 21 percent over the same time period. More than three times as many people die in truck accidents as in aviation, boating and railroad accidents combined.
Our Successes Handling Truck and Tractor Trailer Accidents
The following are representative cases litigated by Slack & Davis truck accident lawyers:
Truck Runs a Red Light, Resulting in Serious Injury
- Family of three was hit by an 18-wheeler semi tractor-trailer rig that ran a red light. The entire family suffered serious injuries, and one member received facial injuries that required extensive reconstruction, including a titanium orbital structure for her eye.
18-Wheeler Blasts through Windshield
- A West Texas driver was injured when the broken driveshaft of a passing 18-wheeler truck blasted through his windshield. Our client suffered severe injuries to his arm and upper body, including broken bones and internal damage, which required multiple surgeries.
Semi-truck Crosses Over into Oncoming Traffic on Highway
- A Central Texas elementary school teacher suffered spleen laceration and multiple fractures to her arms, shoulder, legs and ankles as a result of a collision with a commercial truck. The truck driver crossed the center stripe of U.S. 290, crushing our client’s car.
Speeding Semi-truck Rams Car Under Another Vehicle
- A young Austin driver, while slowing for traffic on IH 35, was hit from behind by an 18-wheeler truck, the force of which thrust our client’s car under the truck in front of him. The young man, a football player on the brink of a professional career, lost his right arm below the elbow. The truck driver was traveling at an excessive rate of speed for the traffic conditions and following too closely. Slack & Davis found numerous safety violations at his trucking company.
Truck and Motorcycle Crash at Intersection
- A retired U.S. Army officer was killed when an army vehicle failed to yield the right-of-way at an intersection and pulled out in front of our client’s motorcycle.
69-year-old Woman Rear-ended by Commercial Truck
- Our client, a 69-year-old woman, sustained a broken neck when the car in which she was a passenger was rear-ended by a large truck.
Intoxicated Truck Driver Hits Motorcyclist
- A Dallas motorcyclist was hit and critically injured by an intoxicated man driving his company’s rented truck. In a somewhat dramatic turn, the defendant left the scene of the wreck and was chased and caught by witnesses.
Slack & Davis Truck Accident Attorneys Handle 18-Wheeler, Big Rig & Truck Accident Cases
Slack & Davis truck and trailer accident lawyers understand the complex variables involved in truck and tractor trailer accidents. Led by attorney Mike Davis, our experienced truck accident lawyers have successfully litigated numerous cases involving serious personal injuries and wrongful death from tractor-trailer and truck accidents. Our lawyers offer the experience, resources and diligence necessary to quickly determine cause and demonstrate liability for every accident. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a wreck, or suffers from life-altering injuries, we can help you in this difficult time. Call us today for a FREE case evaluation.