John R. Davis
John R. Davis leads the firm’s class action and whistleblower practices, having spent most of his career either working for or litigating cases in the U.S. Federal Courts. He focuses on complex litigation, with a particular emphasis on consumer fraud, healthcare fraud, antitrust, environmental, and insurance matters. John seeks to hold corporations accountable for wrongful conduct.
Prior to joining Slack Davis Sanger, John spent two years as a judicial law clerk for two federal district court judges and then three years at a high-profile class action and environmental law firm in New Orleans. In these positions, John gained expertise in federal court litigation, and specifically in pharmaceutical antitrust class actions, RICO class actions, and environmental natural resource damages litigation.
John was named as a Super Lawyers® Texas Rising Star in the practice area of Class Action/Mass Torts (2018-2022). In 2018 and 2019, he was the only Austin-based lawyer to receive such recognition. John was also featured in New Orleans CityBusiness Magazine in “Law Firms: Ones to Watch” in 2014. John is licensed to practice law in Texas, California, Louisiana, and Alabama.
John served as court-appointed class counsel in federal court class action against Farmers Group, Inc. The case alleged premium discrimination against approximately 700,000 of Farmers’ policyholders. Grigson v. Farmers Group, Inc., No. 17cv88 (W.D. Tex.). In June 2020, the Court approved a proposed class settlement that totaled $52 million including attorneys’ fees and costs. Distribution of the awards is nearing completion.
In addition to his other cases, John was appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee in the Valsartan Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2875 (D.N.J.), a massive pharmaceutical personal injury and economic loss litigation involving the contamination of valsartan-containing blood pressure medications taken by millions of Americans each year.
John has also developed a niche boating injury and products liability practice. An avid sailor, John owns a 40-foot monohull sailboat that he keeps in his hometown of Annapolis, Maryland. John has incorporated this personal life passion into his practice by using that knowledge and experience to provide representation to victims of boating injuries, as well as to consumers who purchase defective boats and boating-related products.
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- B.A., Trinity University
- Trustees Scholarship
- Dean’s List
- National French Honors
- Hon. W. Keith Watkins, Chief United States District Judge, Middle District of Alabama (2010–2011)
- Hon. Mark E. Fuller (ret.), United States District Judge, Middle District of Alabama (2011–2012)
- American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association
- Austin Bar Association
Honor & Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, 2024
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2018-present
- New Orleans CityBusiness, “Law Firms: One to Watch,” 2014
- "Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Case Update: General Causation Issues in Recent Mass Tort Cases" (State Bar of Texas Litigation Section Report — The Advocate, Volume 77, Winter 2016)