Strong Texas Child Injury Lawyers
Relentless representation when your child suffers serious injuries
Children rely on adults to ensure their safety. When newborns, youngsters, pre-teens, and teenagers suffer injuries, there are multiple causes for concern. Who will pay the medical bills? What type of life will my child lead? Who will provide for my child and take care of them in the future? Who speaks for a child when a catastrophic injury occurs?
It’s devastating for any parent to learn that their child will be disabled for life, that they will be disfigured, or that they will always be in pain. At Slack Davis Sanger, our lawyers, many of whom are parents themselves, understand just how traumatic it is to learn your child was injured – and that the injuries were preventable. Our Texas child injury lawyers represent children and parents when doctors, motorists, manufacturers, and others fail to protect your child. Rest assured that we will guide you and your family carefully through the litigation process. We have a strong record of jury verdicts and settlements.
What types of child injury cases do your Texas lawyers handle?
We handle any type of accident that causes serious harm to your child. We also represent parents if a child tragically dies. Some of the accident cases that often involve children include:
- Car accidents. Parents must properly secure their newborns and young children. All drivers should be extra cautious when driving, especially with children in the car, because injuries to children are often more traumatic and more life-threatening than injuries to adults.
- Medical malpractice and birth injuries. Our lawyers represent parents when doctors and healthcare providers responsible for the birth of your newborn make catastrophic mistakes. Doctors should be held accountable when they fail to anticipate and respond to dangerous conditions, such as oxygen deprivation that can cause cerebral palsy and other conditions. Most birth injuries are preventable. Medical mistakes before, during, and after the delivery can change your child’s life forever.
- Attractive nuisance accidents. Property owners must take steps to prevent children from exploring their swimming pools, trampolines, and other attractions – even when it would be clear to an adult that the owner’s property is private. We hold property owners liable when owners fail to install fences, lights, and other protective steps to prevent children from drowning or suffering severe injuries on the owner’s property.
- Animal attacks/dog bites. Children, especially very young children, don’t understand how dangerous animals can be. A dog bite, for example, can cause diseases, infection, puncture wounds, broken bones, internal organ damage, and even death. We understand the Texas laws that govern liability for dog bites and other animal attacks.
- School events. Schools and staff members need to anticipate the dangers to children of all ages. Recreational activities should be supervised. Complaints about teachers and staff should be taken seriously. School bus drivers can be held liable if they cause a crash. Sadly, these days, mass casualties are another threat in our country’s schools.
- Product defects. Manufacturers of products for children need to ensure those products are safe for use. Our attorneys can quickly check if a product is subject to a recall or has caused other children injury. We work with product safety experts when cribs, clothing, medication, packaging, bicycles, and other products severely harm your child.
Our Texas child injury lawyers also represent parents and children when the following types of accidents occur:
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Recreational accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Daycare accidents
At Slack Davis Sanger, we understand when and why adults are liable for injuries to your child or the tragic death of your child.
What are common injuries when children have accidents?
Our Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth personal injury lawyers hold individuals, businesses, and organizations liable when their negligence or fault causes your child harm. We represent children and parents when children suffer injuries that change their lives forever, injuries that are permanent, or injuries that require extensive medical care.
Some of the many types of injuries we handle include:
- Birth injuries, including cerebral palsy, HIE, and brachial plexus injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Traumatic amputations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Compound, multiple, and other serious fractures
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Internal organ damage
- Hearing loss
- Vision loss
- Sexual assaults
How is medical care for children different than for adults?
Diagnosing and treating child injuries and illnesses is different than for adults because their bodies are smaller and continuing to grow. Newborns and young children can’t speak for themselves. Many children are scared. Doctors need to understand the unique challenges involved with injuries to children, such as the proper dosages for medicines, and treat them accordingly.
Our lawyers hold medical professionals who fail to provide competent care accountable. When your child suffers a birth injury or any type of injury due to an accident, we work with your doctors and our network of doctors to ensure an insurance company or jury understands the physical and emotional challenges your child will face for the rest of his/her life. We are skilled at evaluating the cost of all your child’s medical needs.
How do I file an injury claim on behalf of my child in Texas?
There are some critical differences between filing a legal claim for a child and for an adult:
- Who files the claim. Children cannot file a lawsuit in their own name. A parent or legal guardian must file the claim on behalf of the child.
- There are different laws for contributory negligence. Generally, very young children (under five) are considered incapable of negligence.
- Presenting the testimony is different. Children often can’t explain how an accident happened or why they’re hurting. Our Texas child injury lawyers help children express themselves and work with parents, the child’s doctors, witnesses, and professionals to help children present their claims.
- The settlement of the claim. Normally, the amount of any settlement or verdict is placed into a structured settlement, trust, or annuity until the child turns eighteen. Some of these arrangements may last for the child’s life if the injuries affect the child’s competency.
Our lawyers can also explain when and how the statute of limitations is tolled for claims involving children, and how it might affect your claim.
What are Texas’ laws regarding car seats?
According to Texas state law, “All children younger than 8 years old, unless taller than 4’9”, are required to be in the appropriate child safety seat system wherever they ride in a passenger vehicle. Generally, height is a better guideline for parents than the child’s age.”
Texas recommends the following types of ways to secure a child, depending on the age of the child:
- Rear-facing car seat
- Forward-facing car seat
- Booster seat
- Safety belt
Is there a child injury lawyer near me?
The attorneys at Slack Davis Sanger serve the Austin, Dallas, and Forth Worth areas, as well as throughout the state. You can find our main offices in Austin, Texas on Bold Ruler Way, right off Capital of Texas Highway / Loop 360, about two miles south of the 360 bridge.
Speak with a caring Texas child injury lawyer today
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Texas child injury lawyers are parents too. We understand how devastating it is to learn your child has suffered a preventable birth injury or an injury due to negligence, one that changes your child’s life forever. Our lawyers are respected across Texas for our dedication to our clients, our skills in arguing cases in court, and our tenacity in fighting for the best results possible. We’ve obtained numerous high personal injury verdicts and settlements – many for over $1 million.