Oil Field Accident Lawyers, Austin, Texas
Relentless representation for workers and families across Texas
Texas is the nation’s leading producer of oil. While the methods used in oil field exploration and production have changed over the decades, the production of oil in Texas is still about a third of the entire USA’s crude oil production. The demand for oil in places like Spraberry Trend, the Yates Oil Field, and the East Texas Oil Field means there are plenty of oil field jobs – even for those with no or limited experience.
According to Texas.org, the source for the data set forth above, numerous companies are hiring across Texas. While the production and number of jobs have increased, the dangers unfortunately are as real as always. Workers in most oil field jobs risk catastrophic injuries and death on a regular basis. At Slack Davis Sanger, our Austin oil field accident lawyers are skilled at showing why oil field accidents happen, and who is responsible. We are experienced in helping victims recover compensation from owners when they are liable to the workers, and from manufacturers when defective machinery, equipment, and tools cause oil field injuries or death.
"Slack Davis Sanger represents the ultimate in professionalism combined with a true caring attitude.” - Colonel Ray Toler, Client
Why is oil and gas industry work so dangerous?
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2017, Texas led the nation in oil and gas fatalities with 44 deaths – more than all the other states combined. The high likelihood of catastrophic injuries and fatalities is why OSHA regulates the oil and gas industry so heavily. Texas regulates oil field work through The Railroad Commission of Texas. There are spacing regulations, density and proration rules, permit requirements, and other rules that must be followed. In addition to federal and state rules, there are common industry standards for oil and gas field work – such as safety protocols and the use of protective equipment.
Oil field and gas accidents generally fall into two categories:
- Accidents that cause physical injuries, such as broken bones from falls and burns from fires.
- Accidents that cause exposure to dangerous chemicals or are due to dangerous work conditions such as high temperatures and noise pollution.
What kinds of oil field accidents do you handle in Austin?
Our Austin oil field accident lawyers handle all types of oil field accidents including:
- Transportation accidents. Vehicles are involved with transferring equipment and machinery to oil field sites and transporting the energy products away from the oil field site. The victims of oil field accidents involving trucks and cars include the workers and other drivers and passengers on the roads of Texas.
- Equipment and machinery accident. Oil field workers may be injured if they are caught in or between vehicles, equipment, machines, and high-pressure lines. Some of the items that may injure a worker include hoists, derricks, cranes, trucks, pipes, and other objects.
- Oil is highly flammable. Oil field workers are at constant risk of fire explosions and pipeline explosions when they work with tanks, wells, generators, shale shakers, and other equipment. A cigarette, static electricity, lightning, anything that might create a spark, electrical sources, and hot surfaces – all can cause explosions. Explosions often cause severe burn injuries, musculoskeletal injuries, or death.
- Falls. Much oil field work is high off the ground. Workers who fall from masts, drilling platforms, or other levels may suffer catastrophic injuries.
- Defective machinery, tools, and equipment. Many oil field accidents happen be because the products you depended on working fail you when you need them to work. According to the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA):
- Oil and gas extraction workers may be exposed to a wide variety of rotating wellhead equipment, including top drives and Kelly drives, drawworks, pumps, compressors, catheads, hoist blocks, belt wheels, and conveyors, and might be injured if they are struck by or caught between unguarded machines.
- Collapsed oil rigs due to defective design or construction, or faulty maintenance. Workers can easily become pinned or crushed when an oil rig collapses.
- Blow-outs. These accidents occur when underground pressures force the oil and gas above the surface. Any workers near the oil and gas may be seriously injured or killed.
- Pipeline accidents. The pipelines used to store and move the oil can explode or spill causing harm to anyone nearby.
- Confined Spaces. Accidents in confined spaces such as storage tanks or pits can cause workers to be exposed to dangerous chemicals or be asphyxiated.
Some of the other types of accidents that Occupational Health and Safety Administration regulations seek to avoid include accidents due to:
- Ergonomic Hazards
- High Pressure Lines and Equipment
- Electrical and Other Hazardous Energy
- Machine Hazards
At Slack Davis Sanger we work with industry professionals who understand these rules, and why your accident may have been caused by a failure to follow one or more of these rules.
The bottom line is that our Austin oil field accident lawyers are skilled at showing how and why the accident that caused your personal injuries or the death of a loved one happened. We represent all types of oil field workers including roustabouts, tool pushers, automatic drillers, oil drillers, roughnecks, derrick hands, service operators, truck drivers, and others.
What types of injuries do Austin oil field workers suffer?
When oil and gas extraction accidents happen, workers don’t just suffer cuts and bruises. Many workers suffer catastrophic injuries that cause a lifetime of pain and require a lifetime of medical care. Many workers require surgery to have a chance at functioning, let alone working and having some type of normal life.
Our Austin oil field accident lawyers represent workers and others who suffer:
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Traumatic amputation of part or all of an arm or leg or multiple limbs
- Spinal cord injuries including paralysis
- Broken bones including multiple fractures and compound fractures
- Severe burn injuries
- Respiratory disorders
- Skin disorders
- Hearing loss
- Vision loss
- Internal organ damage
- Back, neck, and shoulder injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Crush injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
We work with your physicians and our own network of doctors to fully understand and explain what injuries you have, what medical help you’ll need for the rest of your life, how much agony you are in, and how much your injuries affect all aspects of your life.
Why do oil and gas industry accidents happen?
Our lawyers have 200 years of combined personal injury experience. We work aggressively to show how your oil field accident happened, and why the defendants should be held accountable. Some of the many reasons for oil field accidents include:
- Failure to vet employees
- Improper training of workers
- Improper supervision
- Defective equipment, machinery, and tools
- Failure to follow federal or state regulations
- Failure to follow industry standards
- Failure to conduct routine inspections
- Improper storage of toxic products
- Many other acts of negligence
Who is liable for an oil field accident in Austin?
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Austin personal injury attorneys understand the unique challenges involved with oil field accident cases including determining who is liable. We file claims against all responsible parties including:
- The owners of the oil field
- Contractorsand subcontractors
- Maintenance companies
- Repair companies
- Other responsible parties
We file personal injury claims, product liability claims, and wrongful death claims. We’ll explain which type of claim applies to your case, what damages you deserve once liability is established, and how the claim process works.
Do you have an oil field accident lawyer near me?
We meet clients and families at our Austin office located at 6001 Bold Ruler Way, Suite 100, Austin, TX. We also have offices in Dallas and Fort Worth.
Get answers now. Talk with a skilled resourceful Austin oilfield accident lawyer today
It is critical that you move fast after an oil field accident. Memories fade. The evidence you need may not be preserved. At Slack Davis Sanger, our Austin oil field accident lawyers work quickly to investigate the accident site. We review your medical condition and needs with your medical team – and our own network of physicians when necessary. We seek compensation for all your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, and inability to function and enjoy life. To assert your right to compensation after an oil field accident, please call 866-531-1657 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment.
6001 Bold Ruler Way
Austin, TX 78746
Main Austin Practice Areas