Respected Uber Accident Lawyers in Austin, Texas
Experienced representation for Texas rideshare accident victims
Austin is a great location for workers, tourists, and residents. People in Austin use Uber rideshare services to get to college, government office buildings, blue-collar jobs, high-tech jobs, and just to enjoy the local rivers and lakes. For passengers, an Uber ride is an easy way to obtain a ride without the hassle of hoping a cab will drive by. For Uber drivers, the fares can provide some extra income or even enough for a full-time job.
There are dangers. While Uber rides are convenient, Uber drivers are often focused on their smartphones and GPS systems instead of the roads. There are complaints that Uber drivers have assaulted passengers. The Austin Uber accident lawyers at Slack Davis Sanger understand the unique liability and insurance issues involved in rideshare accident claims. We have a strong record of jury verdicts and settlements.
"Slack Davis Sanger represents the ultimate in professionalism combined with a true caring attitude.” - Colonel Ray Toler, Client
What types of Uber accidents do your Austin attorneys handle?
Slack Davis Sanger represents passengers, drivers, pedestrians, and bicycle riders who are injured when at least one of the vehicles in an accident is an Uber vehicle. Our Austin car accident lawyers represent anyone who is injured when an Uber accident is involved in a:
- Head-on crash
- Read-end collision
- T-bone/broadside accident
- Single-vehicle accident
- Multi-vehicle crash
We handle all types of car accidents including accidents caused by defective car parts. Our Austin Uber rideshare lawyers also represent passengers who are sexually assaulted, physically assaulted, or injured while entering or exiting the vehicle.
What causes Uber accidents in Austin?
Most Uber accidents happen because the Uber driver or another driver did not make your safety a priority. We work aggressively to show that one of the following acts of negligence caused your injuries or the death of a loved one:
- Driving while distracted by electronics such as smartphones and entertainment devices, food, and drink
- Driving while intoxicated
- Driving without enough rest
- Speeding and any other type of traffic violation
- Driving too fast for traffic or weather conditions
- Many other reasons
Uber drivers are commercial drivers. They aren’t just driving for themselves. They are driving because they have the most precious of cargos in their vehicles – human life. Uber drivers need to be looking at the road, ready for emergencies, and in full control of their vehicle. When they’re negligent, Uber drivers and other drivers on Austin roads should be held accountable.
What are the most common Uber accident injuries?
Our Austin Uber accident lawyers represent victims who suffer serious, often life-changing, injuries. We also represent families when a spouse, child, or parent dies in an Uber accident. Common rideshare injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Traumatic amputations
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Severe burn injuries
- Severe fractures including compound fractures and multiple broken bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Vision or hearing loss
- Sexual assaults
- Other serious injuries
We work with your doctors and our own network of healthcare providers to fully show:
- What type of injuries you have and their severity
- The cost of all your medical care, now and in the future
- How your injuries are preventing you from functioning and enjoying life
- Your daily physical pains and emotional worries
How does rideshare liability work in Austin?
At Slack Davis Sanger, we understand the unique legal and practical difficulties involved with rideshare cases. We file claims against all responsible defendants including:
- Your Uber driver
- Another driver
- The owners of the vehicles involved in the accident and any employers
- Manufacturers of defective auto parts
- Any state entities such as the Texas Department of Transportation that may be responsible
In some cases, we may also file a complaint against Uber.
How does rideshare insurance work in Austin?
Insurance for all drivers
Texas requires that all drivers have at least 30/60/25 liability insurance (higher amounts are advisable). This means that if a driver causes an accident, the driver’s insurance company will pay up to the following:
- $30,000 for injuries to one person.
- $60,000 for injuries to multiple people – one accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Injured passengers may be able to obtain some damage coverage from other sources, regardless of fault. These sources include a passenger’s medical payments coverage or a passenger’s personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. If the liable defendants don’t have insurance or don’t have enough to pay the damages, Uber accident victims may be entitled to damages through their own uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage.
Insurance for Uber drivers
Uber drivers must have additional insurance. According to Value Penguin:
- If the Uber driver’s app is off (the driver is using the vehicle for his/her own reasons), the driver must have the minimum liability coverage or more. This coverage is the 30/60/25 amount.
- If the Uber driver’s app is on and the driver is looking for a ride, the Uber driver must have 50/100/25 coverage – and inform his/her insurance carrier he/she is an Uber driver. Uber “may” provide this insurance.
- If the Uber driver is picking up a passenger or has a passenger in the vehicle, then the driver must have $1 million for bodily injury and property damage (total) per accident. Uber should provide this insurance coverage and $1 million in UM/UIM coverage. Uber’s insurance coverage should also include collision and comprehensive insurance coverage.
In Texas, an Uber driver must be at least 21, pass a DMV check, pass a background check, have a valid driver’s license, have the minimum required insurance coverage, and own a vehicle properly registered in Texas.
Our Austin Uber accident lawyers understand all the rideshare regulations that apply to Uber drivers.
Do your Austin Uber accident lawyers represent sexual assault victims?
Yes. Sadly, many drivers cross the line of human decency. Our lawyers file personal injury claims if an Uber driver sexually or physically assaults a passenger.
CNN reported, in October 2021, that according to a 2019 Uber report, there were nearly 6,000 complaints of sexual assaults, including 464 complaints of rape, in the two prior years.
We help victims seek emotional help in addition to physical help. We work with the police and prosecution to ensure your voice is heard. We file civil complaints to hold Uber drivers responsible for their unconscionable acts. In addition to seeking damages for your economic losses and pain and suffering, we also demand the driver pay punitive damages for assault.
What is the value of my Austin Uber accident claim?
Our Austin Uber accident lawyers work diligently to show all the ways your injuries have cost you – financially and personally. We seek full compensation for all your:
- Medical bills – current and future
- Income and benefit losses – current and future
- Pains, aches, hurts, worries, anxiety, and mental suffering
- Other financial losses including property damage
- Other personal losses including compensation for scarring and disfigurement, and loss of consortium
If a loved one died in an Uber accident in Austin, we file a claim for wrongful death damages.
Do you have an Uber accident lawyer near me?
Slack Davis Sanger has an Austin office located at 6001 Bold Ruler Way, Suite 100. We have other offices in Dallas and Fort Worth. When necessary, we meet clients at their homes or a hospital.
Talk to a respected Austin Uber accident lawyer now
At Slack Davis Sanger, our lawyers have more than 200 years of combined experience. Our Austin personal injury lawyers work with investigators, product safety experts, financial experts, and medical professionals. We are skilled at showing why car accidents happen, and who is responsible. We’ve obtained numerous verdicts and settlements for more than $1 million dollars. To discuss your Uber accident claim, call our Austin trial lawyers at 866-531-1657 or complete our contact form to schedule an appointment.
6001 Bold Ruler Way
Austin, TX 78746
Main Austin Practice Areas