Fort Worth Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys
Fighting for Texas vehicle accident victims for more than 30 years
There is no excuse for distracted driving. In some cases, distracted driving is as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Distractions like talking on the phone, texting, eating, grooming, or having a simple conversation can be dangerous. In Texas, nearly one in five crashes are caused by a distracted driver.
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Fort Worth personal injury lawyers have the experience and resources to handle car accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accident cases. We understand why distracted driving is so dangerous, why distracted driving happens, and how to show a driver was distracted. Insurance companies and defense lawyers respect our ability to prepare your case, argue the law, and persuasively explain why the defendants are responsible. We demand full compensation for all your injuries.
What is distracted driving?
Any activity that takes a driver’s eyes off the road, mind off of traffic, and hands off the wheel is considered distracted driving. The following acts cause driver distraction in Fort Worth:
In just one second, a car travels nearly 90 feet. Those 90 feet can mean the difference between crashing into a car in front of you or avoiding an accident. Checking a phone for “just a second” can cause a preventable and dangerous collision.
How dangerous is distracted driving?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, deaths due to distracted driving in Texas rose 17% from 2020 to 2021. In 2021, 431 people died due to distracted driving and 2,934 people were seriously injured.
The Texas Department of Insurance recommends, to avoid distracted driving, that:
- Drivers turn off their cellphone during their trip.
- If you need to call or text, pull off the road, stop, and then use your phone.
- Prepare your directions before you get into the car, so you don’t have to look at your GPS.
- Pull off the road if you’re tired.
- Limit conversations when in heavy traffic, near construction, or when the weather is bad, so you can concentrate.
- Keep your eyes moving and focused on the traffic around you.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
How can your Fort Worth distracted driving accident attorneys help?
At Slack Davis Sanger, our lawyers work aggressively and quickly to help show a driver was distracted when the accident that caused your injuries or the death of a loved one happened. Some of the steps we take include:
- Having investigators examine the scene of the accident and the vehicle of the driver. Skid marks, traffic lights, infotainment systems, GPS systems, and other evidence may indicate a driver was distracted.
- Requesting the right to examine the phone of the driver if distracted driving is suspected.
- Questioning everyone who was in the driver’s car.
- Reviewing any truck logs if a truck driver was distracted.
- Speaking with the police, who are usually the first people to come to the accident site.
We also question nearby businesses to see if they have any video of the accident. In some cases, distracted driving can be shown by excluding all other possible explanations for the accident.
Who is responsible for my Fort Worth distracted driving accident?
Our Fort Worth distracted driver lawyers often file claims against more than one liable party, or defendant. These parties may include:
- The distracted driver
- The owner of the vehicle if the owner is different from the driver
- An employer if the driver was working on a job while distracted
- Trucking companies that hire a driver who then causes a distracted driving accident
Sellers of alcohol may also be liable if they serve a visibly intoxicated person or a minor, and that person later causes the traffic accident that results in your injuries.
How much time do I have to file a distracted driving claim in Fort Worth?
Accident victims and families have two years to file an accident or wrongful death claim in Fort Worth. Claims against the government must usually be filed much sooner.
Don’t wait. The more you wait, the harder it becomes to show the driver who caused your accident was distracted. We need to speak with everyone while their memories are fresh. We need to examine phone data before it’s erased. We need to review your treatments to determine whether any changes in medical care are necessary. The sooner you contact our Fort Worth distracted driving lawyers, the better.
Do you have a distracted driving accident lawyer near me?
Slack Davis Sanger has a Fort Worth office located at 100 Lexington Street. Suite 70. We also have offices in Austin and Dallas.
Experienced distracted driving accident attorneys serving Fort Worth
Many distracted accidents cause catastrophic injuries and fatalities. At Slack Davis Sanger, we guide victims and families through the claims process. We work to obtain compensation for your economic losses (medical bills, lost income, and property damage) and your personal losses (pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, and loss of consortium). To assert your rights, call our Fort Worth trial lawyers at 800-455-8686 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment today. We represent distracted driving victims on a contingency fee basis.
Fort Worth Office
100 Lexington Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Main Fort Worth Practice Areas