Fort Worth Product Liability Attorneys
Relentless representation when consumer products, tools, and equipment cause injuries
The manufacturers of the cars, tools, electronic systems, and machines we use each day are responsible for ensuring those products are safe. Manufacturers have control of the design, the workmanship, and the instructions. They can test the products for safety before they hit the marketplace. The burden is on the manufacturer to make quality products, and when Texans suffer injury from dangerous or defective consumer goods, they have the right to hold companies accountable.
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Fort Worth product liability lawyers work with product safety experts, engineers, and other professionals who understand how and why product defects occur. Often, when products are defective numerous people are injured. Some products are even subject to recalls. Our personal injury lawyers guide you through the claims process. We are respected across Texas for our strong record of verdicts and settlements in personal injury cases.
What is a product liability claim?
- A claim against a manufacturer or seller. Most people in Fort Worth buy directly from a local seller, such as a local car dealership. Both the manufacturer and the seller may be liable. A distributor is generally considered a seller.
- The manufacturer normally indemnifies the sellers for any claims. Sellers are generally not liable unless they contribute to the product’s defect in some ways, such as altering the product in some way or providing faulty warnings or instructions.
- The claim can be based on different types of losses:
- A personal injury claim. For example, if you suffer a traumatic brain injury, broken bones, or other injuries.
- The wrongful death of a beloved family member. For example, if a spouse, child, or parent was killed because of the product.
- Property damage. For example, if a defective part damages your car, or if a product causes a fire, you could file a claim.
- Different types of claims. Texas lumps different types of legal claims together. For example, the following claims (which have different meanings) are all considered product liability claims:
- Strict tort liability
- Strict products liability
- Breach of express or implied warranties
- Other theories
Claimants who argue that the design of the product was defective (as opposed to defective workmanship, warnings, or instructions) must show that “There was a safer alternative design [or] the defect was a producing cause of the personal injury, property damage, or death for which the claimant seeks recovery,” under the law.
What are the three types of product liability?
The Texas product liability statute refers to different legal theories for filing your claim. Our Fort Worth product liability lawyers understand these different theories. The main theories are:
- Strict liability. Here, the burden is on the victim to show that the product was defective (in design, workmanship, warnings, or instructions). The defect is the controlling factor. There is no need to show the manufacturer was negligent.
- Here, the claimant must show that the manufacturer acted improperly in some way. Improper conduct may include failing to follow any federal or state regulations. Negligence may also include failing to design the product in accordance with industry standards – for example, failing to run computer simulation testing of airbags for vehicles.
- Breach of warranty. Here, the claimant argues that the manufacturer made express written warranties or implied warranties about the quality of the product – and then broke those warranties/promises.
What types of cases do your Fort Worth product liability attorneys handle?
At Slack Davis Sanger, we handle all types of product liability claims. The most common claims we handle are:
- Defective vehicle claims. Common claims of car defects, truck defects, and motorcycle defects include defective electrical systems, computer systems, brakes, fuel lines, and tires. Trucks may also have defective hydraulic systems and cargo security devices. Motorcycle frames, engines, handlebars, and clutches may be defective.
- Defective work products. Construction workers, manufacturers, oilfield workers, pipeline workers, and other workers rely on their tools, safety gear, equipment, and machines to work. When cranes, scaffolds, ladders, power tools, and other products fail, the consequences can cause catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
- Defective home products. Ovens, microwaves, fans, heaters, and electronic products that malfunction can cause serious injuries.
- Defective children’s products. Manufacturers need to be extra cautious when designing car seats, strollers, clothing, children’s furniture, plastic bags, and other products that children use.
- Defective household products. A few household products that may be dangerous include heaters, fans, microwaves, and household cleaners.
We also represent victims and families when your injuries are caused by defective vehicle safety items, such as airbags and seatbelts. We also handle claims involving airplanes, helicopters, ATVs, boats, and other recreational vehicles.
Who is responsible for my defective product claim?
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Fort Worth product liability attorneys have the experience and resources to take on the big manufacturers and their insurance companies. If you were hurt or a loved one died due to a defective product, we file claims against all responsible defendants including:
- The product manufacturer
- The product distributor
- The product retailer
- All related companies such as parent companies, repair companies, and maintenance companies
There is no requirement that the product that injured you or failed to protect you was subject to a recall. There are federal agencies such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Consumer Product Safety Administration (CPSC) that investigate and respond to consumer complaints. These agencies may issue recalls, or the manufacturers may issue their own recalls.
Manufacturers must comply with recalls. Compliance means informing the owners of the products that a recall has been issued and making repairs to defective products, or replacing defective products with quality products.
What is the value of my Fort Worth product liability claim?
Our Fort Worth product liability lawyers work with your physicians and specialists to fully document your injuries, all your economic losses, and all your personal losses. We demand compensation for all your:
- Medical bills – current and future
- Income loss – current and future
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
In cases of inexcusable wrongs, we also demand punitive damages.
Do you have a product liability lawyer near me?
Our Fort Worth office is located at 100 Lexington Street, Suite 70. Our lawyers also maintain offices in Dallas and Austin.
Talk with a respected Fort Worth product liability lawyer now
At Slack Davis Sanger, our Fort Worth product liability lawyers have been fighting for personal injury victims for more than 30 years. We’ll move quickly to examine the product that caused your injuries. We’ll investigate who is responsible and work to hold them liable. Our lawyers have earned the respect of former clients, insurance companies, and defense counsel. To discuss your claim, please call 800-455-8686 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment.
Fort Worth Office
100 Lexington Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Main Fort Worth Practice Areas